Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Soup that freezes well!!!


A soup that is popular and a staple at my home is Lentil Soup!  The recipe comes from chef Alton Brown, whom not I’m not a big fan of but this recipe is good!  The first time I have made the soup I questioned Alton Brown’s sanity with one of the ingredients!!!  Before this recipe I have never heard of “Grains of Paradise” and now I know where to find some.  Grains of paradise has a similar look to whole black peppercorns and you can substitute black pepper for grains of paradise, which was great to know when I first made the soup.  I was able to buy some grains of paradise at the local organic food store across the street from my work. 




One thing that I definitely find time consuming and a bit of an annoyance is freshly grinding the coriander, cumin and grains of paradise!  I don’t have all day to grind all three of them!

Now here is the recipe…

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
  • 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 2 quarts vegetable broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise
* You can substitute Black Pepper for the Grains of Paradise and Chicken Stock for Vegetable Stock

Directions:
Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.

Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine.

Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.

Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.



*You don’t have to use a stick blender.  The soup still takes great even without one!  I do not own one yet but it is on my wedding registry!  Also I normally double this recipe so that I can freeze the soup. 



I also eat this soup with some Boar's Head Kielbasa that is absolutely delicious!!!! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment